Day 20 - Experimenting again!

Today is Day 20 of the 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge.  Two-thirds of the way done.  One of the things I'm learning this time is that I can take time to experiment.  Earlier on in the Challenge, I painted a painting only in blues.  Another day, I tried using a limited palette that included black (a color that I've been told NEVER to use).  I've even played a bit with painting abstracts.  Today, I tried another thing I have no experience with - a palette knife.  At first, it was very frustrating.  But... as I worked with it, I found that I really liked the texture the knife was creating.  And it looked great in the marsh grasses.  

I used both a brush and a palette knife to create this painting.  Although I liked the texture the palette knife created in the marsh grasses, I didn't like the texture in the sky, so I went back over the sky with a brush to smooth the paint out a bit.  


Marsh Grass
6" x 6", oil on birch board

I will definitely be working with my palette knife again!

Thanks for stopping by.  See you tomorrow!

susan
www.susangarriques.com
susan@susangarriques.com

Comments

Unknown said…
Really really fabulous!! It has depth and movement and life. Hurrah for the palette knife.
Susan said…
Thanks, Laurel. I must admit, I never thought I would enjoy palette knife painting. Ha!! Just goes to show me. Should have known better. I'm really hoping this is what I've been looking for with my landscape paintings. I've always felt like they were missing something.