Looking back at 30-in-30

Looking back at this year's 30-in-30 Challenge, it is pretty obvious that the palette knife was my biggest influence.  It wasn't planned, but just happened along the way.  I've only used a palette knife previously to mix paint, so using a knife on my paintings was a challenge.  Whatever marks the palette knife makes are still a surprise to me.  My palette knife is shaped a bit like a trowel.  I'm using the bottom side of the knife to apply to paint to the canvas, so I can't really see what's happening.  It's really fun when I pick up several variations of one color at the same time from my palette - like when the paint isn't mixed till totally blended.  When that gets applied to the canvas, some beautiful marks can show up.  And it gives great texture when I'm painting the grasses of the marsh.  

One thing I noticed about all these small paintings is that they are recognizable from across the room.  You don't need to be right up on top of them to see what they are.  I think that's because I've got good values in them.  Values are the lightness and darkness of colors.  Without good values, everything can look flat. 

I made up a collage of all 30 paintings over on PicMonkey.  They have a fun website for editing photos.  And creating this collage was free.  


30 Paintings in 30 Days

All of these little paintings are for sale now and if you click on the collage above, it will take you to my website with another, larger collage.  Clicking on the images in the that collage will take you directly to a page with that painting on it.  You can learn more about the painting there, and if you are inspired to, you can also buy one!   Some of them are still a bit wet, so I may not be able to ship some of them for another week or so.

Thanks again for following along in this journey.  Thank, also, to Leslie Saeta for inspiring us all (more than 1400 artists participated!) to paint for 30 days in a row.  

One of my goals for this year is to keep posting here regularly.  No more once a quarter need it or not!!  Hope to see you here.

Love and peace to all,
susan

Comments

martine paquet said…
Susan beautiful landscapes and great collage!
Congratulations!
Rolina said…
Congratulations on completing the challenge, it has been wonderful to see your work!
Unknown said…
Beautiful work, Susan-and congratulations on completing the challenge! Your collage is wonderful too!
Pattie Wall said…
I love how you set this up for sales - good job! Very nice work, the palette knife work is wonderful!
Susan said…
Thanks so much everyone for you compliments. I truly appreciate them. Pattie, setting up the sales was something I thought about the entire time I was painting, but never got it rolling. Decided to do it to go with the collage. I work well under pressure!