Paintings 2 and 3 - 30-in-30 Challenge

Painting was a total blast today.  I was having a bit of a problem figuring out where to paint when I'm painting inside.  Yesterday, I chose the "family room", near the north window.  The walls are a bit dark, though, and there is a HUGE old Live Oak tree outside just outside the windows.  The lack of good light was a bit of a problem.  Today, after changing locations and painting under bright artificial light, it was easy to see a difference in the paintings from the two days.  Yesterday's painting is quite light.  Today's paintings are a bit darker.  Interesting.  

The kitchen was my studio today.  It's big enough to set my plein air easel up in a corner.  There is a large florescent light fixture in the center of the ceiling, which made seeing much easier.  It looks like the weather is going to stay too cold for me to paint outside comfortably for at least another week.  I'm keeping an eye out for places to paint that are in the sun and out of the wind, though, because I'd really like to paint outside.  

I painted two paintings today.  Trying to catch up since I started late.  So, this is Painting Two and Painting Three.  They are both views from our new "temporary" home.  The first one is across the street from the house and catches my eye often.  The second one is done at very very low tide looking from our dock.  When the tide is high - there is no mud.  Just water and marsh grasses.  

The marsh grasses are fascinating.  There are miles of them sometimes and when I look closely, I see varying stripes of color.  In reality, they are more subtle than what I've painted in the first painting.  I was having fun "pushing" the colors I was seeing.  The second painting is a bit more "realistic".  And definitely my favorite so far.


Tree Island in the Marsh
6" x 6", oil on birch board

Low Tide view from the Dock
6" x 6", oil on birch board


The photos of these paintings were taken with my iPhone.  The colors are pretty close, but not quite right.  I'll have to take more photos tomorrow with my "big" camera and re-post these.  

As I mentioned yesterday, I'm trying to paint loosely and more abstractly than I normally do.  Found myself "noodling" a few times (messing about too much with little details).  I think this is looser than I normally paint, but it sure hasn't gotten very "abstract" yet.  Would you agree?

Thanks for stopping by.  See you tomorrow!

susan

Comments

Ducky said…
Your work is honest Susan, I love the location - that is "art" in and of itself and for you to capture it is challenging I am sure but your success is exciting!

You are most blessed to be surrounded by so much natural beauty.
Unknown said…
Way to go Susan. There is something appealing and soft about the third painting. The second caught my eye, having fun with "new" landscape colors.
Meredith Adler said…
Wow, two in one day, you might be my new hero! Glad you are having fun. I can't wait to see how your month progresses. You have the perfect "models" in the landscape forms you are seeing...your paintings are lovely, and I am really interested to see how you move toward abstraction...
Susan said…
Thanks for your support, everyone. It's good to know I've got someone watching!!