Throwback Thursday

Slow to catch on to trends sometimes, I do eventually manage to get there.  Throwback Thursday posts on Facebook have been around for quite awhile now, and I always enjoy seeing the "old" photos and reading about them.  Earlier this week I was studying a painting that hangs on my studio wall.  It's one I did a long time ago now - maybe 9 years.  It brings back so many wonderful memories.  

First there are the memories that go with the the original photo I took in the Bahamas.  February 1998.  We were there on our sailboat, Magic Dragon.  Broken camera, new camera, shoot a roll of film to test it, discover these boys "fishing", Valentine's Day, sailing race....   It goes on and I can get lost in remembering.  I got a fun shot of the boys "fishing" - they were actually just playing and pretending they were fishing.  They loved having their photo taken, which made it even more fun.

Next memories... in 2005 I started oil painting again (thanks to encouragement from my husband) and took a workshop from Lettie Nowak in Key West.  She flipped a switch in my brain, the lightbulb came on and I was off and painting. It wasn't too long after that that I painted those Bahamian boys from that day in 1998.  

In 2007, the "Bahamian Boys" won Best of Show in  an art show in the Keys.  Now THAT is a great memory!  It still makes me smile.

So, maybe the best thing about Throwback Thursdays is the memories it brings back to the person doing the posting.  This was fun!!  

Bahamian Boys - oil on canvas - 18" x 24" 

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you enjoyed my trip down "memory lane".  

susan

Comments