Taking Comfort in a Bear....

Day Three - after my "intimidated by an egg" experience, I thought it was time to restore my confidence and paint another bear.  My collection of stuffed bears began when I was living aboard a sailboat.  Since there isn't much room on a boat, my bears are all quite small.  And of course, it all started with just one.  Today's bear was found while on a trip to Australia (by plane, not boat) and is a reminder of a beautiful country. 

Before the 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge began, I prepped lots of 6" x 6" birch panels.  They were all sanded and gessoed.  Sanded again and gessoed again.  Most of them have been gessoed with white gesso, but there are some that I used clear gesso on and a few that I used black gesso on.  Since this little Koala Bear is gray and white, I decided that a black panel would be perfect.  And I'm happy with the result.


Koala Bear
6" x 6", oil on birch panel


While we were in Australia, we visited a Koala rescue/hospital.  Koala Bears are gentle, delightful creatures.  It was a treat to be able to see them up close. And in "real life" they are more of a brown/gray color than my little stuffed bear is. (Australia is just amazing and I'm so thankful I was able to travel there.)

I believe that after finishing this little bear, I'm feeling brave again and just might tackle that "large brown organic egg" again.  Stay tuned.....

Thanks so much for stopping by,
susan

www.susangarriques.com
susan@susangarriques.com

Comments

Cindy D. said…
Adorable face and looks so fluffy! Australian animals are some of my favorites (Wombats! Kookaburras!). Good luck with the egg!
Cindy said…
Well Done! I can just feel how soft he is, and so cute!