Ruby Red Oranges - Day 15

Today marks the halfway point of the 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge. When I decided to try painting from still life setups as opposed to photos (I used photos for last year's Challenge), I was truly worried that it would be a disaster.  I'm guilty of not sketching enough and depending on grids and computers to make sure my lines are where I want them.  How was I possibly going to work from life?  

Well, I am happy to report that it seems I don't need grids or computers.  Sketching the composition is one of my favorite parts of each painting.  The other "favorite part" would be near the end, when everything starts to come together and those last few brushstrokes really make it pop.  

Today's painting is of 3 sections of a Ruby Red Orange that was part of a box of grapefruits and oranges, a Christmas gift from a generous relative in Florida.  Until now, I had never seen or heard of a Ruby Red Orange.  The skin is a "normal" orange, but the fruit is a dark pink/orange - like a "ruby red" grapefruit.  


Ruby Red Orange
6" x 6", oil on birch board

While I was painting this one, I left the part of the orange I wasn't painting on the cutting board in the kitchen, with thoughts of using it in tomorrow's painting.  Perhaps I should have left a note beside it, because when I was finished with this painting, I found my husband in the kitchen eating the props for my planned next painting!

Thanks for stopping by.  See you tomorrow!!

susan
www.susangarriques.com
susan@susangarriques.com

Comments

Anonymous said…
The shadows on the plate really works well. And the citrus looks good enough to eat!
malteenie said…
Great job--I feel that painting from real life gives a much truer image as opposed to painting what the camera sees--