Day 28 - Starfruit Slices

The starfruit from Day 26 has now been cut into lovely little starfruit slices.  What fun it was to paint these on the black background - and what lessons I’ve learned!  First, I needed to remember that yellow is a very transparent color.  And.. when yellow is mixed with black, it makes a green color.  How weird is that?  I did know that, but forgot.  So, when I first mixed my yellow, which needed to be a cool, almost green, yellow - and brushed it onto the black gesso, it became even cooler and actually almost more green than yellow.  I started with lemon yellow and ended up mixing a cadmium yellow with titanium white to apply over it to make the starfruit look more yellow than green.  The titanium white is opaque, so that the black wouldn’t show through as much and that fixed the “green” problem.

This is another example of things learned by painting every day.  None of these paintings needed to be “masterpieces”.  They really are studies.  Ways to help me learn how paint works.  And brushes.  And compositions.  30 days of learning.  Cool beans.

Starfruit Slices
6" x 6", oil on birch board


Thanks for stopping by!  See you tomorrow!

susan
www.susangarriques.com

susan@susangarriques.com

Comments

Anonymous said…
Two more days!!