Christmas Teddy Bear

Christmas Day is just two weeks away as I write this.  Seems like it was November just yesterday and I'm not sure where the time has gone between now and then.  Sometimes the speed in which time passes truly amazes me. 

In less than three weeks, Leslie Slaeta will once again host the 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge.  Last year I joined in and am really glad I did.  It was much harder than I thought it would be and took me most of the day everyday to complete the painting.  But I learned a lot and by the end was a better painter.  Plus, I sold quite a few of those paintings. (thank you!!)

Last year, for the 30 in 30 Challenge, I painted mostly animals and most of the paintings were done from photos.  In fact, unless I am painting "en plein air" (outside), I paint from photos all the time.  Painting from life is different than painting from a photo.  A photo is just 2 dimensional.  Life is in 3D.  And as the viewer moves around the scene changes.  So, this year, I was thinking that maybe I should paint 30 "real life" paintings for the Challenge.  

Before plunging in and committing without thinking carefully, I decided to give it a try.  That way, if I failed miserably, I could come up with another idea.  In my studio, I have a small teddy bear that is also a calendar.  He has a sweater for each month and two number blocks for the dates.  He's pretty cute and I thought he might serve well as the model for my test painting.  I was right, he did!  Best of all, I spent only about an hour and a half painting.  And no sketch first, I just concentrated on shapes and values and staying loose.  It was fun!  


Christmas Teddy Bear
8"x6" - oil on canvas paper

I'll definitely be painting "real life" paintings (or "direct paintings") for the 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge!  And I suspect I'll be learning a lot this year, too!

Meanwhile....  have a peaceful and happy holiday!  And thanks for stopping by.

susan
www.susangarriques.com
susan@susangarriques.com


Comments

Ducky said…
Love that you are doing the 30 Day Challenge again Susan. I so admire you, your ability and drive.

Love the teddy, especially his eyes.
Congrats as you begin this new endeavor.
Susan said…
Thanks so much, Ducky! I really appreciate your comment - and your support.