Dealing with rain.....

Even with all the pre-planning my artist friends and I did for the Toe River Arts Council's Annual Paint Out, we forgot to make a backup plan in case it rained.  In hindsight, that was pretty silly, considering all the rain we get up here.

Well, this morning it started raining about 6 am and kept raining all day.  Luckily, for all the painters, it was a gentle rain and there was very little wind. Three of us started out together on a porch, painting a very colorful house that belongs to another artist.  By lunch time, I was not happy with my painting - and it was still raining.  

Not giving up, I headed over to the spot I originally intended to paint.  I was able to set my pochade box in the back of my car and paint from there.  My drop cloth is a clear shower curtain, which turned out to be perfect for keeping out the little bit of rain that was coming in the car.  

Painting in the back of the "art car"
The back of my car provided the perfect shelter to paint in.  Before too long, the rain stopped and I was able to put my pochade box on the tripod and paint standing.  Good thing, too, because painting in the back of the car works, but isn't the most comfortable.

And now... here is my "finished" painting.  It is hanging the Toe River Arts Council's Burnsville Gallery along with the paintings from all the other artists. It's a good show. If you live nearby, stop in for a look.  And don't forget to look back at yesterday's post to see the scene I was painting.

View From Green Mountain Road

Today is the last day to enter the contest for a free print.  Read about it in this blog post.  

Thanks for stopping by!!

susan

Comments