More little birds......

We traveled down to Beaufort, South Carolina last week, which meant no painting.  A little sketching, some photos, and lots of long beach walks.  Between traveling and then "catching up", days went by with absolutely no art being made.  I can only take so many days of that before I start whining. <grin>  This week I was happy to get back to painting.

My fascination with the small birds that live in the woods around our house only gets stronger with each of these small paintings.  I've added a second suet feeder and have been fun watching the Carolina Wrens and the Carolina Chickadees taking turns.

This morning I saw a flash of bright blue.  Most definitely an Eastern Bluebird.  The past few weeks, though, a bright red Cardinal has been hanging out in the the rhododendrons, so I thought perhaps he would make a good subject.  

This pair of Cardinals was painted on a 5" x 5" canvas that is 1 1/2" thick, making it possible to sit on a shelf or hang on a wall.  





In addition to the Cardinals, I've been working on the fawns that I started at the beginning of the month.  They aren't quite finished, but I thought an in progress photo might be appropriate.  The background is having to come out of my head, because I didn't want to use the background in the reference photo.  It seems to me that the backgrounds should be easy.  Not really much detail.  Big brush.  Ha!!  I seem to have a harder time with the backgrounds than the details.


The fawns are being painted on a 16" x 20" canvas.  You can see the first in progress images in this previous post

I've been thinking about a new project - it's still formulating in my head, but I can say that it involves adopted/rescue pets.  Once I get more of the details figured out, I'll be releasing the details here first.  

Thanks for stopping by.  
Spring is only one month away!!!!!!!

susan




Comments