Day Eight - 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge

Today's painting is of a gray wolf that lives at the WNC Nature Center in Asheville, NC.  The Nature Center is a treasure that I only recently "discovered".  There are over 60 species of animals found in the Southern Appalachian region living there, including red wolves, cougars, black bears, river otters, and foxes.  The gray wolf used to be found here in WNC, but is no longer.  When I was there, I was hoping to see the four red wolf pups that were born there earlier in 2012, but they weren't anywhere to be seen.  

This painting was painted on a 6" x 8" sheet of gessoed watercolor paper with water mixable oils (Winsor & Newton).  I started this one with a pencil sketch directly on the paper.  Then, I painted in the darks, using Burnt Sienna and French Ultramarine Blue to make those darks.  Using those same darks, I lightened them with Titanium White.  A little bit of Yellow Ochre in the eye, and some Cadmium Red for the tongue and that's it.  The background was done with just the blue and sienna.  




Thanks for stopping by!  And I hope to see you tomorrow for Day 10!

susan
www.susangarriques.com
susan@susangarriques.com

Comments

Nancy Darling said…
Difficult to paint fur in watercolor. Great job and I like the composition. I have been to that Nature Center and painted the other grey wolf. Wish I lived closer.
Unknown said…
love this one !!!