Maggie - a work in progress

This is Maggie, another one of FiFi's Friends.  And this painting still has more work before it is finished. I'm letting it dry before I go any further.  Maggie is a Bloodhound and a retired Search and Rescue dog.  She is 8 years old and good with other dogs.  You can read more about Maggie (and see the photo I used for this painting) on her PetFinder page.....http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/20305775

I painted this with my Winsor Newton Artisan oils, which are water-mixable.  Normally, I use traditional oils, but have recently started using the water-mixables.  I like them, especially the fact that I don't have to use mineral spirits to clean up with.  At the moment, I have a very limited palette of colors to work with, so I found myself facing two challenges with this painting so far.  First, there is the difference in the paints themselves (mostly texture) and then there is the limited palette.  I didn't realize how much I used Burnt Sienna, till I didn't have it! In its place, I used a mixture of Yellow Ochre and Cad Red Hue.  And a little bit of Burnt Umber. 

Before I finish this painting, one of the things I want to work on is the background.  Don't like the color, don't like the "flatness".  I'm starting to think a pillow might look good.  Hmmm.....  

thanks for stopping by and reading,
susan

www.susangarriques.com
susan@susangarriques.com

Comments