In-Progress - "Pookie"

Pookie isn't quite done - but I think this painting is far enough along that I can share it without totally embarrassing myself. Lots of artists say that paintings go through "ugly" stages and I can certainly agree with that. And there are several phases that my paintings go through that I wouldn't want to be sharing here on my blog, that's for sure!

The background color on this one has been, as of yet, undecided. I started with a lighter-medium value purple at one point on the top half. But then I added a darker purple on the bottom half and it was just too much purple. I tried adding a bit of blue to the top, but it was still too much purple. I liked the way the folds in the purple cloth looked, so decided to wipe off the top half, leaving a small purple edge all around the dog. When I left the studio late this afternoon, I still hadn't decided what color to use. There's more painting needed on Pookie, too. Not too much, but what needs to be done will make her look more rounded and less flat.

Thanks for stopping by.

susan
susan@susangarriques.com
www.susangarriques.com


Comments