In Progress


Finally, a chance to paint with oils again. As I started today, I realized that this is my first oil painting of 2008. I've been busy practicing with acrylics for the Glory of Horses project. Today's work confirmed my love for oils.


This painting is in progress. I started it this morning, first with a rough pencil sketch directly on the canvas. After I was satisfied with the sketch, I sealed the pencil with a workable fixative. This is supposed to keep the pencil from leaking through the oil paint. Usually, I sketch with a paint brush. For some reason, today, I felt like sketching with a pencil. After the fixative dried, I began by blocking in the colors. Working with fur can be a problem for me. Especially if there are lots of colors in it, which is common. For this kitten, I've decided to block in a basic color, and after it dries, go back over with a fine brush to lay in some hairs in the actual colors.


Not sure when I'll get a chance to finish this one, but I'll be sure to post it when I do.


Thanks for stopping by.

Comments