Finding my space

Not to be confused with myspace.com. I mean my space in the art world. Just what is it that I want to paint?

I started a 100 Paintings Project last summer (August, 2006). My goal was to paint 100 landscape paintings, using 8" x 10" canvases and limiting my time to 2 hours on each. I chose landscapes because I have a hard time painting landscapes. The time limit was meant to force me to be faster. And hopefully not so tight.

A few weeks ago, I finished #38. I do these small paintings inbetween other painting projects, so they are not accumulating very quickly. But.... lately I found myself looking longingly at paintings of animals by other artists. One day I found myself wishing I was painting animals instead of landscapes. Right away I realized how silly wishing was when all I had to do was change my 100 Paintings Project to animals. So I changed spaces.

Yesterday I painted #39, which is a Boston Bull Terrier puppy. This one took 3 1/2 hours to finish. I'm delighted with it. Maybe this will be my space.


p.s. The paintings can be seen on my website, as well as my other paintings. http://susangarriques.com


Comments