One door closes......

Most people are familiar with the phrase "When one door closes, another door opens".  Earlier this year, I found out that a gallery my work has been in since moving to North Carolina was closing its doors.  I'm always sad when a gallery closes, but this one was local and the I'm particularly fond of the owner, so this closing was a bit more personal.  Her decision was a good one for her, but our community will not be the same without her gallery and I know we will miss her tremendously.

But, as I started with, there's this phrase "...another door opens", and I'm happy to announce that my work is now available in the gift shops of the Toe River Arts Council (TRAC).  There are two gift shops - one in Burnsville and one in Spruce Pine.  (North Carolina) In fact, currently there is an exhibit (it runs through May 7th) in the Burnsville gallery of the work of all the new gift shop artists.  Here's a link to the online announcement for the exhibit:  http://www.toeriverarts.org/facilities/burnsville-gallery/    

The work that I have in the exhibit is a series of wild birds that are painted on 5" x 5" canvases.  The canvases are 1 1/2 inch thick and are perfect for sitting on a shelf as well as hanging on a wall.  If you haven't been to the Burnsville TRAC Gallery, stop by and take a look.  You'll find a treasure box of art there.  The address is 102 W. Main Street, Burnsville, NC.  

Getting accepted into the TRAC Gift Shops was great news, but I suddenly realized that I need to get to work and create more paintings.  And then... I saw something... and I had an idea and couldn't wait to get started.   Today I put that idea to work and I'm delighted with the result.  The painting below will be available at one of the TRAC Gift Shops just as soon as the paint dries.  And more will be on the way soon!   This Eastern Bluebird pair is painted on a "basswood round".  (To prep the board, I put painted 3 coats of clear gesso on it, sanding between the first two.  Then, I put two coats of gesso on the back.  That step may not be necessary, but I like to think it will help preserve it.)   

Eastern Bluebirds
oil on basswood
7.5" x 8"
(approximately)

Thanks for stopping by!!!

susan

Comments