New painting alert!!

Perhaps by this time, you've given up on seeing any new paintings from my studio - other than the Baseboard Mice (which have been a great success!).   But I have been busy painting things other than mice and today I can show you a commissioned painting I shipped off to Wisconsin on Monday.  (Thank-you!!)

This is Belle.  I love this painting and it was hard to let it go.  Although this is the second time I've painted Belle, this is the first time I've done a dog portrait with a snowy background.  And what fun painting all that white was!!  Especially since I used only tiny bits of pure white.  I also had fun with using lots of color on Belle's coat.  

Belle - 16" x 20" oil on canvas


The canvas is 16" x 20" - a 1 1/2" gallery wrap (I continued the painting on the sides).  I toned the canvas with a mix of cadmium red light and cadmium red medium, which gave me a warm red - nearly orange - background to start on.  I sketched the composition in with white chalk.  And then started painting.

This painting just glows when the light hits it, caused by that warm red color I started out with.  There will definitely be more paintings in my future with that same color toning the canvas.  

I've put a link to a video made from a series of still shots that I took at the end of each studio session on my website.  Click here to see it.  I will apologize up front for the variation in color between the shots - I used my iPhone for most of them and my dSLR for the final shot.  There's a bit of a learning curve, but I hope to do more of these "work in progress" videos and I'll work on getting the color issue under control. 

Thanks so much for stopping by.  

susan

www.susangarriques.com
www.baseboardmice.com

Comments

Meredith Adler said…
Wow, that is a gorgeous dog portrait! I stopped by to see if you are doing the 30 in 30. Guess I'll have to wait to find out...