Back to the marsh.....

Two Sundays ago, the weather was warm and sunny.  A perfect afternoon for some "plein air" painting.  The ACE Basin is 350,000 acres of marshes, wetlands, hardwood forests and riverine systems.  It is located between Charleston and Beaufort.  The Ashepoo, Combahee, and South Edisto river basins create the ACE Basin and together drain into St. Helena Sound and eventually the Atlantic Ocean.  Within the ACE Basin there are several Wildlife Management Areas.  Donnelley WMA is not too far from where we are staying in Beaufort.  We've spent several afternoons exploring Donnelley's treasures.

One of the paintings I did in the 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge was done from a photo I took in Donnelley WMA.  (click here if you'd like to see that)  On this particular Sunday, though, I had my paints with me and I painted.  


Sunday Afternoon
8" x 16", oil on canvas panel
  That Sunday afternoon, I got a good start on this one, but finished it in two more indoor sessions.  When I first looked at this scene, the thing that caught my eye was all the gold in the water.  There was more gold than what the grasses should reflect.  It was glowing.  So that gold was one of the first colors I added to the canvas, since seeing beautiful colors can be fleeting when painting outside.  Colors change with the light.  And seem to be there one minute and gone the next.  I've learned to get them on the canvas quickly before they are gone. 

I'm pleased with this one.  My 30 paintings of the marsh definitely contributed to the success of this one. 

Thanks for stopping by.  See you again soon!

susan
www.susangarriques.com

Comments

Unknown said…
Really serene, just like a Sunday afternoon. Love the space.