Wait for me!!!!

When I was a little kid, my little brother was always tagging along and often could be heard calling "Wait for me!!".  Now I'm several days behind in the January 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge and I'm the one calling "wait for me!!".  

The delay was planned.  Prepping for a temporary "house move" on January 3rd kept me way too busy to paint.  We'll be staying in Beaufort, SC for the next few months.  All the way till the daffodils will be blooming again in the mountains.   Our temporary home is on the marsh and there is navigable water right off the backyard.  We have a dock.  The tides are amazing.  About 9 feet yesterday.  It's a full moon, which increases the tidal range, but only by about a foot or so.  Big tides here.  Which means the view of the water and the marsh are changing all the time.  Sandbars come and go.  

My plan for the 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge is to paint marsh scenes.  I've got plenty of birch boards all gessoed and ready to go.  They are all 6" x 6".  Love the square format!  I gessoed them all using clear gesso.  It allows for the grain of the wood to show through.  I like that.  

I had planned to stand on the dock and paint this morning, but it is windy and cold, so I opted for painting from a photo I took on Sunday - a rather gray and cloudy day -  when the tide was low.  


Low Tide
6" x 6", oil on birch board


In addition to all marsh scenes, I'm focusing on painting more loosely and more abstractly.  I'm usually so detailed and realistic.  I don't want to be painting blades of marsh grass!!  This will be a big challenge.  Wish me luck, please!!

Thanks for stopping by.  See you tomorrow!!

susan

Comments

Unknown said…
It does feel like the low country. It's so hard to paint a brand new landscape. The colors and the light aren't like the land just left behind.

Enjoy your watery winter!
Meredith Adler said…
I do wish you luck, and you know we will always wait up for you! Sounds like you have a wonderful opportunity to paint marshes...what a great time you will have. You are off to a smashing start. I do like the abstracted landscape. We'll let you know when it snows and ices and is degrees below up here...you enjoy yourself and have a blast! Thanks for visiting my blog, Susan...