Halfway!! 30 Paintings in 30 Days

Today is the halfway point.  There are lots (over 1000) of other artists participating and we are all celebrating this milestone.  

My 15th painting is another scene from the visit from the dolphins on the gray misty morning of a few days ago.  And once again, the ripples in the water are caused by the approaching dolphins.  It is still gray here.  It's been several days since the sun showed itself.  My paintings have been reflecting the weather fairly accurately.  Tomorrow, the sun is supposed shine upon us once again, so maybe tomorrow my painting will feature light from the sun.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

With all the gray, I needed to spice it up a bit this morning, so I decided to try painting with a different palette of colors than I normally do.  Somewhere in my wanderings through my many art books, I remember reading about an artist who used just ivory black, yellow ochre, and titanium white in his landscapes.  I have those colors, so I gave it a try.  But first, I painted the sketch and blocked the darks in with cadmium red.  I do that with very thin paint, but it still gets picked up by the colors painted over it.  It was really fun to use just those colors and see where I could go with them.  I'll use this palette again.


Dolphin Ripples II
6" x 6", oil on birch board
Thanks so much for stopping by.  Stop by tomorrow for some possible sunshine.

susan
www.susangarriques.com
susan@susangarriques.com

Comments

Unknown said…
Really lovely. The abstract elements are creeping in the reflections and the ripples. Really like the value composition.
Susan said…
Laurel, I will confess that I've been approaching each painting with thoughts of "it can just be abstract if it isn't working out as representational". Good grief. I'm afraid of what abstract artists might think of that thought.