Day 28 - Marsh Abstract

Today's painting is another attempt at abstract.  Maybe.  It wasn't what I had intended it to be, but when my husband saw it, his comment was "Now, that's abstract".  Hmmm...... perhaps.  I'm not really sure just what "abstract" means.  
I've always been intrigued with lines.  It started with pencils when I was a kid.  I like lines.  When I try to incorporate lines in my paintings, though, I'm not getting exactly what I'm after - yet.  It will just take some and more playing.  My tendency is to try it, then I drop it for a while before giving it another try.  During the 30-in-30, I've had fun with lines, sometimes following along the woodgrain of my board.  Today's lines are dividing shapes of color in the marsh.  This was fun, but challenging.  I used a mix of French ultramarine blue and pthalo blue (very very intense color) to paint the lines and I did those first.  This meant that when I was painting in the colors of the shapes, I had to be really careful not to pick up the blue.  That pthalo likes to attach itself to everything.  If I were to do it again, I think I'd let those blue lines dry first.  


Marsh Abstract
6" x 6", oil on birch board
So, just 2 more paintings and the Challenge is over.  A few days ago it seemed like it might never end and now the end is very near.

See you tomorrow!!!

susan
www.susangarriques.com




Comments

Unknown said…
Wow that's really cool. So much experimenting in unknown realms. Great composition and color palette.
Meredith Adler said…
There is a rhythm to this one that I am finding very soothing. I don't know if it would be considered abstract, but Leslie's show today is apparently an abstract artist, so that might shed some light. I guess it really doesn't matter how it's categorized if a viewer is getting a soothing feeling from it--that should be what counts, right? Your impact!