Day 21 - Another Palette Knife

Today, I thought I'd be brave and try another palette knife painting.  When I walk the dogs early in the morning, I tend to plan my paintings.  This morning, I was thinking it would be good to use one of the previous photos I painted from in the Challenge already and this time use a palette knife.  The palette knife seems to do a beautiful job of creating the marshes.  (click here for a link to the painting with brushes)

Things I'm learning about palette knife painting include the fact that I go through a whole lot more paint.  Lots and lots more.  Plus, I feel like I have little control of what is happening with each stroke.  Perhaps this will change as I get used to using the knife. 

Earlier this week, I watched Michael Chesley Johnson's dvd about painting wet in wet with oils.  What a good teacher he is!  In the painting he did in the video, he blocked in colors and values with a brush, then went back and finished it with a palette knife, correcting shapes, colors and values as he went.  

With today's painting, that's exactly what I did.  It took me about twice as long as when I use just a brush, but I must say that I am impressed with the results.  Much more texture.  Much looser.  What do you think?  I'd be pleased to know.


Low Tide, Winter Marsh II
6" x 6", oil on birch board
You can see the first version of this scene by clicking here. 

Thanks for stopping by.  Be sure to stop by tomorrow for more experiments!!

susan
susan@susangarriques.com 

Comments