Blog-phobia?

Peaking around a corner here.  Trying to see if it is safe to come back out.  Not sure how long I've been hiding here.  Seems like a long time.  Wondering why and thinking maybe it is a new affliction.  Blog-phobia?   At first, it seemed to be nothing more than "spring fever".  Then it seemed to morph into "summer vacation".  Now, the leaves are falling and still I hide.  Perhaps it is time to re-emerge.

Last winter, while traveling in warmer climates, I was inspired by another artist friend to attempt copying a painting by an "old master".  Back in my early 20s, I owned a print of the Pharaoh's Horses by J.F. Herring Sr.  Even though I lost that print somewhere in my travels, I've never forgotten it.  Once we returned from traveling and I was in my studio again, I decided to paint my own copy of the Pharaoh's Horses. 

Before painting it, I did a bit of research about the original.  J.F. Herring Sr. painted the Pharaoh's Horses in 1849.  Some of my research indicates that perhaps he copied it from another painting done in the 1700s.  J.F. Herring's painting was sold at Christie's in London in 1986 for $445,500.  Wow.  

Most of my spring and part of my summer was spent working on this painting.  It turned out better than I could have imagined.  It still amazes me when I look at it.  And... for some reason, I'm having a hard time sharing it with the outside world.  Last month, I took it to Blackbird Frame and Art in Asheville to have it framed.  They did a wonderful job (the framing story rates another blog post!).

Now that the painting is framed, I'm going to fight my apparent "blog-phobia" and share it with you.  (and in another post I'll talk about the framing - and thoughts about "planning ahead").  

"The Pharaoh's Horses"
by Susan Garriques (after J.f. Herring)

Thanks so much for stopping by.  

susan

Comments

Ducky said…
This is beautiful Susan. When I look at the three horses, they come right to life, I can see the steam coming from their nostrils. My granddaughter would be thrilled to see this. I can't wait to show her the next time she is here.

So glad you have come out of hiding. I have missed you.
Bernadette