Day 23 - Lady Slipper Orchid

Only one week left in the 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge!  

Today’s painting is of a Lady Slipper Orchid that I brought home from the annual orchid show at the North Carolina Arboretum about 2 years ago.  I love the variegated leaves on this orchid.  Even without a bloom, this is a very pretty plant.

When I first started this painting, I was thinking that it might just be too complicated for a daily painting.  (especially after yesterday’s adventure with the apple!).  But… instead, I found myself totally enjoying the process.  I painted the basic colors of the leaves first and at the last minute added the dark spots.  I wasn’t sure I would be able to make those look right, but I’m very happy with the result.  This is one of my favorite paintings of the Challenge!

Lady Slipper Orchid
6" x 6", oil on birch board


Thanks for stopping by!  See you tomorrow.

susan
www.susangarriques.com

susan@susangarriques.com

Comments

Anonymous said…
This is great. You have a hidden talent for painting plants.