30 in 30 - Day 19

I have four amaryllis plants that are in various stages of blooming.  They are begging to be painted and although I'm sure not known for painting flowers, I decided to give it a try.

I'm especially interested in the amaryllis in today's painting.  I bought it in a local dime store last year.  When I got it home and opened the box, I discovered it had already bloomed.  It was terribly stunted and deformed.  Rather than toss it in the garbage (or return it - not worth the gas money), I decided to try to keep it and see if I could get it to bloom this year.  It spent the summer on my porch and sure enough, it is blooming.  It has two large flower stalks on it.   And today's painting is of the bud that is the closest to opening.  
Amaryllis Bud
6" x 6", oil on birch board

The greens and pinks stand out nicely on the black background, I think.  Once this one opens, I'll be sure to paint it again.  

Thanks for stopping by!  See you tomorrow.

susan
www.susangarriques.com
susan@susangarriques.com

Comments