Painting "Plein Air"

I'm afraid to go back and look to see just how long ago it has been since my last blog post.  It's been quite a while, though, I'm pretty sure.  Life has a way of getting in the way of making art, that's for sure.  

One of the activities that is keeping me out of the studio is travel.  My husband retired last year and we have been enjoying exploring in our camper - a conversion van.  You might remember our road trip to the west coast last fall.  I intended to "paint my way across the country", but we were on the move most all the time and I only painted 3 times.  This summer we have been making an effort to slow down a bit so that I can paint.  No excuses any more! <grin>

Last week we explored the southern half of the Shenandoah Valley.  We were surprised to find that even at the same elevation as we are at home, the temperatures were running about 10 degrees or more hotter.  It was in the mid-90s every day and only got down to the 70s at night.  We didn't know how spoiled we are in Western North Carolina!

For two nights, we camped at the Montebello Camping and Fishing Resort.  This is a private camp, which we tend to choose after state parks and national parks.  The reason for that being most private campgrounds are a bit like a parking lot.  No privacy and no space.  Montebello Camping and Fishing Resort was a nice surprise.  There are two ponds - one of which is the subject of my painting below.


Pond at Montebello Camping and Fishing Resort
6" x 8", oil on paper

The weekend before we left for the Shenandoah Valley, I took a workshop by John MacDonald.  John taught us his method of painting (which actually goes back to the old masters)  - creating a value study underpainting first.  Translating from "art speak", that means painting first using only one color (in this case brown) and white.  Basically a "black and white" image.  Once that layer is dry, it is time to apply color, being careful to use the correct values determined by the underpainting.

When painting outside (en plein air), John uses acrylic paint to paint the underpainting.  Acrylics dry quickly, allowing him to start in with oils pretty much as soon as he cleans up the acrylic brushes.  

I'm a slow painter and I questioned John when he first explained his method.  The light changes so quickly outside, if I painted an underpainting first and then applied color, the sun probably would have made significant progress from east to west and I'd be looking at a totally different scene!  

To my amazement, I've found exactly the opposite.  I'm painting my plein air pieces faster and looser than before.  One and a half hours, maybe 2 and I'm done.  And I'm having a great time!  Thank you, John!

Thanks for stopping by!

susan





Comments