Day Seven - 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge


It amazes me that a week has gone by already since I started the Challenge.  And I have 7 new paintings to show for it!  Not only that, but I have inspired a couple of other artists to paint and a writer to write.  How cool is that?  It didn't start with me, either.  It all started with Leslie Slaeta, so really the credit should go to her.

Today's painting is of a little red filly.  I've had a love affair with horses my entire life.  Every time I paint one, it brings back many memories of the horses I've known in my life and always makes me feel good.



I tried not to worry to much about the time it was going to take me to paint today.  Sometimes, I think I'm worrying about that too much.  So, today I just settled in and worked.  This was done on a piece of 8" x 6" gessoed watercolor paper and done with water-mixable oils.  First, though, I spent at least an hour, maybe more, on sketching the filly in.  Horse anatomy needs to be correct or the painting won't "work".  I suppose that's correct with any animal, or people, but I'm very particular about horses.  Once I got the sketch in, and removed as much of the pencil as possible with a kneaded eraser without taking it all off, I started painting.  That took another 2 1/2 hours.  Maybe 3.  And really, I could probably mess about with it hours more, but I'm trying to learn to stop before I but in every little detail.

Thanks for stopping by.  

susan
www.susangarriques.com
susan@susangarriques.com

Comments