Day 24, 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge

We've had an extreme weather day here in Western North Carolina today.  When we got up this morning about 7 o' clock it was 17 degrees and raining.  Yes, raining.  That's what got me out of bed before sunrise.  It was still dark and I could hear this noise that sounded like rain, but since I had been up during the night putting logs on the fire, I knew the temperature was less than 20 degrees. How could there be rain? I opened the door and heard rain.  Still unbelieving, I went out onto the porch and stuck my hand out from under the porch roof.  Sure enough. Rain.  Back inside, I checked the temperature and it was only 17 degrees.  Before long the temperature dropped to 15 and the rain continued. It stayed that cold until at least noon, when it went back up to 17 and the rain turned to sleet.  Right now, it is about 4:30 in the afternoon and the temp is 23 degrees.  The ground is covered with a mix of snow and ice.  And it is still raining/sleeting.  I haven't seen any snow - but for sure three is white all over the ground.  And ice on the trees.  And right now, I'm hoping the power stays on, because our generator doesn't want to start!

Yesterday I received a reminder email from the Toe River Arts Council about a postcard exhibit I agreed to participate in.  This is a traveling exhibit in Western North Carolina.  Sales from the exhibit benefit the arts councils.  Well, I picked up my postcards back in October and promptly forgot about them.  Until that email.  So... last night I decided they could (would actually HAVE to be) part of the 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge.  I need to deliver my postcards by February 15th and I realized yesterday that I need to get these painted NOW so that they will dry in time.  

My wonderful husband, when I mentioned that I needed to paint the postcards and wasn't sure what I woud paint yet, suggested that I paint birds.  My "Little Bird" series seems to be popular, so I think he's on to something.

So I spent this extreme weather day at my drafting table with my daylight lamp keeping my life bright, thinking of spring and creating this painting for the Postcard Exhibit.



These Carolina Chickadees were painted on a 4" x 6" piece of 300 lb. watercolor paper that I've gessoed on both sides (to help it not to warp).  I painted with water-mixable oils.  They will be going to the Toe River Arts Council for the Postcard Exhibit when they are dry.  It is my understanding that the paintings will be framed in a 12" x 12" shadow box and available for sale for just $70.  If you are interested in this painting, please let me know and I'll pass that info on to the Arts Council and find out how it can be yours.  

Thanks so much for stopping by.  And for your wonderful support.  See you tomorrow!

susan
www.susangarriques.com
susan@susangarriques.com

Comments

Kathleen said…
Susan, I've been through all your paintings. I am just in awe. They're wonderful! What great work you're doing!

And thanks for the reminder about the Feb 15 deadline for the postcards. I hadn't factored in the drying times!