Day 21 - 30 Paintings in 30 Days

Three weeks into the 30 in 30 Challenge now.  Looking back, the time has flown by.  With only 9 days left, I find myself thinking about how I will approach my studio time when this is over.  The challenge of finishing a painting in one day has been a good learning experience.  I miss working on larger pieces, though, so I'm thinking that I would like to find a balance between a daily painting and painting daily.  That might be to do something like commit to two days a week of a daily painting, leaving the rest of the week for larger work.  

After painting fur several days in a row, I was looking for a change today.  These chickens seemed to fit the bill nicely.  I used a 6" x 8" sheet of gessoed watercolor paper for this and since I've been painting so many smaller ones the past few days, that size looked huge when I first started.  Using a bigger brush, it didn't take me any longer than some of the smaller ones.  This one was about 3 1/2 hours of painting - and probably 1 hour sketching before that.  In the beginning of this Challenge, I was determined to paint faster and tried to stay conscious of that while painting.  Well, it just didn't work.  Takes the fun out of it.  So I stopped trying.  And I'm getting faster.  Not fast.  But faster.  And I'm having fun. Life is good.




Thanks for stopping by.  Only 9 more days!  See you tomorrow.

susan
www.susangarriques.com
susan@susangarriques.com

Comments

Linda Nickles said…
Susan, your work is wonderful! I'm so glad to have discovered your blog. Hasn't this 30 in 30 Challenge been an amazing experience?
Susan said…
Thanks so much, Linda! This Challenge has been amazing, you are right.
Pattie Wall said…
Susan, seems like we are all thinking about 'life after the challenge' - how much to get back into the studio and what size - I am like you, I need something bigger next. These littler ones are fun because they get done so quickly. I love the color you used in these chickens. I am partial to chickens. I know about leaks in studio roofs, as well...and it's too cold and windy to get up on the metal roof and fix the leak spots for my DH. Oh well, I keep the important things out of the way.