Maggie - Demo

Back in June, when I gave the animal portrait workshop at the Asheville Art Museum, rather then demo, I decided to bring several paintings, each in a different stage,  that would show how I go about creating animal portraits.  I decided to use my dog Maggie as the model.  My plan was to show a sketch, a blocked in version and the final painting.  Rather than end up with three of the same painting, I used canvas paper to paint the sketch and the blocked in version on. The final version was painted on stretched canvas. I haven't used canvas paper in a long time and I'm glad I don't have to use it often!  It just sucked up the paint.  Normally, I do a fair bit of corrections to my original sketch, but the paint just soaked right in to the paper.

I painted all three canvases at the same time.  Sketched all three and then continued on with the two canvases, blocking them both in.  Using the same color mixtures on both, bringing them along at the same time.  

I've photographed all three canvases and will include them below, showing how it was done.

Thanks for stopping by!

susan






Comments