Vacation Time

Tuesday slipped away again and my blogging intention went right with it. First day of summer and I'm in vacation mode already! Actually, I've been busy painting. Our local fine arts guild is having an exhibit that opens mid-August and I'm still working on my entries. The theme of this show is "Route 80, Back to Our Roots". We are all painting scenes from along Route 80, which runs north and south through Yancey County (and beyond).

This painting is of the pool at the bottom of Roaring Fork Falls near Mt. Mitchell. It's 16" x 20", oil on canvas. I've done another of the falls itself, but I really wanted to get a dog into one of my paintings and am very happy with the way this one came out. Rocks and water are my next favorite things to paint (after all my critters) and I can see the rocks under the water in this painting which pleases me. Getting that depth is tough. I'm also pleased with the way the dog came out. In my original photo he was in a different place in the pool, so I used Photoshop to "move" him. Then, he had a very large branch at an odd angle in his mouth and his face was a bit distorted, so that had to be "fixed" in the painting. The challenges are always fun!

I'm going to take a little time off from the blog this summer. There's some traveling in the plans as well as the exhibit coming up in August. And some experimenting I want to do. The animal portraits are going to have to wait a little bit.

Enjoy these lovely summer days!
susan

www.susangarriques.com
susan@susangarriques.com

Comments