Working together.....

Spring is crazy busy here in the mountains.  Every weekend is full of art openings or music performances.  And this spring the flowers are more amazing than ever.  The energy is, well, nearly visible.  

I've been busy painting, mostly baseboard mice, but I'm also working on a dog painting that I can't share with you yet.  And this past Saturday, I painted in the 9th Annual Paint Out in Burnsville.  I'll share that story and my painting in another post.

Today, though, I really want to share an amazing "nature" story we witnessed a few nights ago.  We have a bluebird house fairly near our downstairs porch and there is a family of bluebirds occupying it.  A few days ago, my husband and I were relaxing on that porch after a couple of hours of mowing lawn.  Before long, I noticed several varieties of birds in the tree near the bird house.  There were the bluebirds, of course, and some phoebes (their nest is nearby, too), but I also spotted a goldfinch, and a chickadee, a purple finch and bluejay.  And then a robin.  It was like I'd put a bird feeder out there.  Well, just after the robin arrived, I spotted a black snake curling its way up the post of the bird house.  He went right in that little bird house!  Luckily, this was a house that Ian built and he made a door on the side.  I pulled the nail out to release the door, and Ian grabbed the snake (he had gloves on) and through it to the side.  Two little bluebirds came with it.  They already had some adult feathers, so they were pretty old already, but not flying yet.  We were able to put them back in the nest - and found two more in there unharmed.  I don't think the snake got any of them.  We then found a plastic bucket that Ian cut to fit on the post so that if the snake returns, it should prevent him from getting to the house.  So far, it is working and I think the little ones will be flying soon.  

What totally amazed me is the way all those different types of birds worked together.  Big ones and little ones.  They were doing their best.  It was like watching a fairy tale in action.

Eastern Bluebirds5" x 5", oil on canvas

The little painting above is one I painted of a pair of bluebirds sitting on our fence.  You can see this one in person at the Design Gallery in Burnsville, NC.  If you'd like to have these little ones for your own, just let me know! 

Thanks for stopping by.....

susan
www.susangarriques.com
    

  

Comments